Monday, October 19, 2015

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon Wrap-Up

So even though it is Monday, and the 24 Hour Readathon technically ended more than 24 hours ago, I'll do a quick wrap-up post in case you're interested in how the rest of my reading day went. 

When last I left you, I was on my way to the library to pick up holds and drop off overdue books.  There were a lot of both:

 
These are all my holds, right after I returned from the library.  Then the girls' dad let me know it was time to pick up Frances and Gloria.   Then Albert and his dad came over.   And essentially the day got away from me.  I had read about 6.5 hours before the library visit.  I only read about another 1.5 hours that night before bed, so in essence I got about 8 hours of reading in during the 24 hour period. 

At first, I was really disappointed by the amount of reading I got done - only 8 hours!  I was comparing it to the 24 hour total, and thinking I had only read a third of the time. But then I realized I was thinking about this all wrong - I got in 8 hours of reading in one day!  That's pretty amazing for me.  And my reading got me past two books during the readathon (I also read about 150 pages of Furiously Happy) that I had been trying to finish all week.  It was a big deal to have moved past them.

Another thing that was fun about this particular Readathon is that many of my friends and family on Facebook read along with me, or shared what they had read, even if it was only for a few minutes.  It was a great way to acknowledge the community of reading.  And a lot of fun to encourage each other. 

So all in all, I will try to do the Readathon again, as often as I can.  While I didn't finish my TBR pile, who does??  It was still a worthwhile investment of my time and energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment